sports

T20 World Cup 2016 was truly a family entertainment

The WT20 is done and dusted and it was a wonderful display of cricketing strategies, skills and high class entertainment. I am not sure if all those who call T20 just pyjama cricket would be changing their views on this format. In fact the sensation and excitement of the final over of the tournament must have convinced even the purists that T20 is not just bang-bang and requires the captains to be agile for every ball bowled since the game can turn to either side without warning. Just the fast and exciting nature of T20 format makes it quite entertaining for all. Flipkart Matlab Bilkul Pukka – I am pretty sure.

If you enjoy the core of the game then TV is the place to watch it. The technology and the commentators make it interesting along with the ever-evolving sequences and jingles of the sponsors during the breaks. With the commentator’s controversy in the news, it’s becoming clear that commentators should have journalistic skills. They need to know the game and be objective presenters. The content of the voice behind the screen is crucial for the entertainment factor and this is where my favourites are Shane Warne, Mark Nicolas, Allen Wilkinson, Wasim and of course our own Harsha. And yet, despite of his questionable language skills, limited set of adjectives, poor knowledge of the game, ineffective hair colour and zero glamour factor Mr. Ramiz Raja gets into every tournament and even to be the MC in some games. At the most he deserves to be sitting next to Sherry Paji in the studio for pre-match and post-match sessions to add value to Sherry Paji’s unique intelligence.

Anyway. After India’s first match defeat against NZ, it seems Royal Stag deputed Shahrukh Khan to pep up the Indian team with his messages – Chhota Banate Jao and Make it Large – which certainly helped India make it to the Semi-Finals. My son Aman called, offering me to join him for the semi-final in Wankhede. It’s a four-hour drive and I made it to Wankhede just in time. Time to check if I could be a Selfie Expert without an OPPO phone. And, to boast on social media where I was. Shahrukh, being banned from Wankhede, I couldn’t have been the only one wondering where he was that day since India lost the match. Maybe the Indian team had arrived at the stadium in a bus without MRF Tyres – a lot is riding on us.

On TV, there’s a 4G girl who spends huge air time selling 4G to the country to prepare for the WT20. But once everyone bought their 4G and the tournament started, she seemed to have left on a Himalayan holiday. People were reporting on social media how cheated they felt even while she continued enjoying her 4G on all her travels.

Sitting in the sultry environment of Wankhede – and next day at Eden Garden – it was clear that Mumbai and Kolkata mein Fogg Nahi Chal Raha Hai.  We had timed our visit to Kolkata to see our daughter Veda, who had just moved there, to coincide with the finals. Going by Flipkart Matlab Bilkul Pukka, we were confident that India would make it. Though that was not to be, it was still a historic opportunity to see a world cup final in a great stadium and I’m glad that even my wife Saaz, not a great fan of the game, enjoyed it thoroughly.

Watching a match in the stadium can be lots of fun with so much action, other than what is happening on the pitch, all around. In fact, you hardly get to see the pitch clearly. It seems that people come to the stadium basically to chill and express their inner child wildly. The dance sequences in the aisles, decorated faces, amazing wigs, screams and shouts on every action on the ground along with the craziness with which everyone is trying to be seen on camera makes it a circus. It seems that all the serious followers of the game had stayed at home.

Ajay Aggarwal